Every furnace is going to make some noise as it works to keep your home warm. You are probably so used to hearing the noise of your furnace running that you don’t even notice it anymore. If for some reason, your furnace starts to make any strange noises, you will more than likely hear it because it will be something that you aren’t used to hearing in your home. When your furnace starts to make strange noises, it is often a sign that there is a problem with your furnace that needs to be addressed. Absolute P&M Services is here to talk about furnace noises as well as what could be causing them.
When Should I Worry about My Furnace Making Strange Noises?
Whenever your furnace starts to sound off, chances are, there is something that needs to be fixed. There are several problems that can lead to strange furnace noises. We would like to talk about them and their causes so that you can be on the lookout for any of them as you heat your home this winter.
– Rattling: If it sounds like there is a rattle inside your furnace, you more than likely have a part that has become loose or broken off somewhere. As the furnace runs, it will cause this part to bang around inside the unit and could cause a lot of noise.
– Hissing: Hissing is something that you never want to ignore when you have a furnace in your home. It is a sign that there is a gas leak that could put your home in serious danger. If you have a heat pump in your home, it is a sign that you have a refrigerant leak somewhere that needs to be looked at.
– Booming: Another sound that you don’t want to hear coming from your furnace is a booming sound. This is often a sign that your furnace isn’t the right size for your home and that there is a lot of stress on the unit. It can also be a sign that there is a delayed burner ignition which can allow natural gas to seep into the air you’re breathing. This is a serious problem that you need to have fixed.
– Shrieking: Often, when you hear a shrieking sound coming from your furnace, it is a belt that needs to be replaced somewhere. It can also be caused by metal scraping on metal that can happen with fan blades and other working parts inside the furnace.
– Silence: This is maybe the worst sound of them all because silence means that your furnace isn’t working at all. There will always be some noise coming from a furnace that is operating as it should.