As the temperature outside starts to creep up and summer arrives, many of us are going to be making the switch from heat to cooling in our homes. When your AC is on, you are more than likely going to be able to hear it. With all the working parts in your system, it is bound to make noise as it works to cool your home. However, that doesn’t mean that all noises you hear coming from your AC should simply be dismissed. Absolute P&M Services is here to talk about sounds that often come from AC systems that are in need of repair.
Why Does My Air Conditioner Sound So Loud & How to Fix It?
You are probably used to the familiar hum that is present when your AC kicks on to cool your house. When that sound suddenly sounds different, that’s when you will likely notice the noise and will be able to do something about it. Here are some of the most common problematic noises you may run into with your AC system.
– AC Hissing Sound: When turning on your AC to hear a hissing sound that sounds like air leaking from your bike tire, you are probably dealing with an air leak somewhere in your system. This is abnormal and you shouldn’t be hearing it.
– AC Making a Banging Noise: Loud banging shouldn’t happen when your system kicks on either. Banging isn’t only alarming; it also means that your AC needs some help. Usually, this noise comes from the compressor.
– Why Does My AC Make a Knocking Noise?: While this may be similar to banging, it is quite different. Clanking usually has a hollow metallic noise to it and means that there is probably a part of your AC system that has come loose and is hitting against other parts in your system. This noise can also be similar to a rattling sound. Both rattling and clanking indicate a loose part.
– AC Vibrating & Buzzing: Buzzing sounds are usually linked to an issue with your electrical system hooked up to the AC. This is an issue that most definitely should be left up to professionals to solve.
– Squealing Air Conditioner: If it sounds like your AC is about to burst with a squealing noise, there is likely a great deal of pressure built up in the system and is trying to escape. This is one of those sounds that can be a dangerous problem and needs to be addressed right away.
– Air Conditioner Making a Loud Humming Noise: If you hear humming occasionally or only slightly, it isn’t necessarily a cause for concern. However, if it is more frequent and becomes loud, it could be a problem with your refrigeration system inside the AC unit.
– Ac Makes a Gurgling Noise: It shouldn’t sound like your system is underwater. This can indicate huge issues that should be addressed right away.
Is a Noisy Air Conditioner Dangerous?
If a loud buzzing, vibrating, or popping noise is coming from your air conditioning system, this often means you have an electrical problem. Electrical HVAC issues can be dangerous and need to be handled by a licensed HVAC technician. If your AC is making loud and unusual noises as it works to keep your house cool, you shouldn’t ignore them. Call Absolute P&M Services today to get to the bottom of it for you. Call us today!